Monday, December 31, 2007

The Discrete Charm of the Brandenbourgeoisie

The post/poem below sent me off looking at music videos, a stochastic journey, as such things inevitably turn out to be, starting with Ferry/Roxy Music & pinballing off to Hendrix, The Mammas & Papas, John Sebastian, John Sebastian Bach, The Band, Dylan, Brecht, Bobby Darin, Charles Trenet, Jacques Brel, Sylvie Vartin, Nina Simone.

Somewhere between the avuncular Trenet’s La Mer & Brel’s hyper-emotive Ne me quitte pas, I decided to pre-empt the two-faced Janus & end, rather than begin, the year with something that I have enjoyed in the past & will undoubtedly continue to enjoy in the future. A quick round-up of the usual suspects, a selection made. & so, below, Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major played by the Orchestra Mozart conducted by Claudio Abbado.



Lots of strings attached — three violins, three violas, three cellos, a contrabass &, as Denise Levertov wrote, “don’t forget the crablike / hands, slithering / among the keys.”

1 comment:

Geofhuth said...

Thanks for the opening-day music, Mark, which has been the best part of my year so far. I am reminded that there is a reason pieces of music become warhorses.

For "Ne me quitte pas," I try to avoid Brel, even though it's his signature piece, because it's so over the top emotionally, almost strident.

I go for Nina Simone, as I usually do. Her French accent is at best execrable, but that makes the song all the more real, and her emotion rings true as well. There is a depth of tone to both her voice and her emotion, to her singing as a whole, that works better with that song.

Or look up the YouTubed version of her "If You Knew," which I think is the most honestly poignant singing I've ever heard.

Cheers, and welcome to 2008.

Geof